• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  15
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi there. I'm new to this forum.

I have had my budgie (Patch) now for about 3 months or so. I got him as a baby and has only just now lost his black lines over his head but has still got his lovely black eyes. He had his wings clipped so we could tame him and hopefully get him to talk, but now his wings have fully grown back. He has an absolutely lovely whistly/chirpy budgie talk going on and I'm sure he will make a lovely talkative little boy some day, but so far I haven't been able to get him to say anything. I spend quite a bit of time with him but probably only about 15 minues on and off throughout the day. My mum mainly talks to him when she's at home while she's doing her daily chores around the house and is constanly saying "pretty patch" or "pretty boy" to him.

I have tried and tried to get him to sit on my finger (or even just to try and touch him) but he keeps flying away from me around the cage. He doesnt bite me. The only time I can touch him is when I actually grab him and bring him out of the cage and hold him against me and he just sits there and squeels but still doesn't bite me. But to catch him its just a big chase around the cage until I can get him. My only worry with this is its probably frightening him.

I really dont want him to just sit in his cage as I would love him to be able to come out and fly around and exercise and be able to sit on my finger and be able to play with him a bit but he just wont let me.

I had another bird quite some time ago, a little girl, and she used to hear me come home and come out of the cage and fly up to me and sit on my shoulder. In the beginning she used to bite me but at least didnt try and get away from me, (she was stubborn basically), but with this one, I can't get anywhere near him. He will sit there if I come up to the cage and will watch me when I change his food, water and clean his cage out, but when I try to touch him, nup no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas!

Thanks

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Hello and welcome :D

Have you clipped his wings??

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I will say that it sounds like there is a lot of interaction going on but not physical touch interaction with working on how to teach your bird to step up. Though your mom is home all day with him he is still scared of the hand because you have not gotten him to trust you in the next step.

All budgies are different, you can't compare the one you had to the one you have now.

Your budgie reminds me of my grandma's budgie where she talked to him all the time, he would run and give her kisses from inside the cage BUT you could not touch him because she never did any hand taming.

In the FAQ section is an excellent article about taming and how to start getting them to trust your hand etc...please read that, it is what you need to start doing.

Your budgie has bonded with you but what you want to do is go to the next step and that article will help you do that.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Hi welcome :D