• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  30
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone. I'm having a very loud problem with my budgie Storm. He's about a year old now and he's a pretty little thing but sometimes he drives me crazy by just squawking!! For no reason at all he will go from nice chirping to loud and obnoxious squawks. I have no idea why he does it and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? My last budgie Pepi was never like this. He squawked when I annoyed him but for his fantastic 9 years with me, he never did this.

Arrrggghhh he's at it again! :)

• Member ID:  3,906
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  303
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,270
  • Birthday:  25/09/1993

that noise has been associated with being annoyed by something, could their be something in his surroundings that is ticking him off??? My budgie does it aswell but only when we put the dishes away becaause they are so loud, its almost as if he is competing wih he noise, it could also be because he just likes his voice?

one more suggestion would be that he is calling for you? is he tame?

try rewarding him with millet when he is quiet

• Member ID:  4,399
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  240
  • Birthday:  30/05/1962

Hi everyone. I'm having a very loud problem with my budgie Storm. He's about a year old now and he's a pretty little thing but sometimes he drives me crazy by just squawking!! For no reason at all he will go from nice chirping to loud and obnoxious squawks. I have no idea why he does it and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? My last budgie Pepi was never like this. He squawked when I annoyed him but for his fantastic 9 years with me, he never did this.

Arrrggghhh he's at it again! :)

YEP you got a budgie!

Budgies hang out in huge flocks in the wild, it is only natural that they make a racket -they thrive on the noise of the rest of the flock, do you want to breed? the more you got, the more noise, the better the result! (circumstances pending).

You'll probably find that if you listen to the outside/inside enviroment you may hear many contributing factors that are making him ark up- listen- radio on? local parrots about (or other birds sounding out?) your bird is calling out for friends- chirping is (chatting to himself or if available chatting up a female) obnoxious squaks is trying to find someone to talk to (chirp & chatter), you could try putting a radio close by - down low or get really into it and buy truckloads more budgies- yahoo the more the better- though then you'll really go deaf!

Remember all animals & people have different personalties some quiet some damn roudy, you'll just have to watch him more and sort out what makes him carry on, good luck, the budgie journey has just begun .

Edited by bruffy

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

bruffy is right, the best thing you can do is ignore the noise or if it gets too much you can simply cover him up until he quiets down and then uncover him, I have to do that with Merlin here and there but not very often.

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

How old was he when you got him compared to Pepi? This is a problem often seen in larger bird species as an attention seeking behaviour. It is most common in birds which have been handraised rather than co parented and is worse in chicks that are handraised on their own (without any clutch mates). Does he mainly do it when he is confined to his cage or when you are out of the room?

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Nicknack had this problem with one of his budgies, might pay to PM him and find out

• Member ID:  4,513

He mostly does it when he's in his cage. When he's out he's too busy destroying bits of paper I have lying around. I think I've found that he is doing it because he wants something from me. He definitely has me well trained. If he wants to be covered/uncovered, or the light off or he has upturned his food and wants me to refill it... I probably shouldn't have given in so easily. When I got Pepi, he was only tiny and the breeder said he may not be able to fly, so Pepi spent a lot of time sitting on my shoulder and not going anywhere so he didnt need to screech to make noise. Then he learnt to fly but he always came back when I called. Storm was a little bit older when I got him and he can fly awesomely. When he's out of his cage the last thing he wants is to sit quietly when he has a whole room to explore! So without the bonding I had with Pepi, I have spoilt Storm shamelessly and I think I've gotten a loud and demanding bird out of the deal!

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Hello and welcome :hap:

I agree that it is a personality thing. Are you sure he is a boy?? Girls are often more cranky and bossy than the boys. Personally i would cover his cage when ever he makes that noisy screech, and when he is quiet again, take the cover off. He will take the hint and learn to be quuiter :hap:

I had a tiel who would screech and i did this with him and he turned out lovely and quiet :hap:

Do your birds like to be misted with water? This is a good way and safe way to let him know this behavior is not acceptable, he does have you wrapped but the thing is it will only get worse if you don't bring it under wraps. Liv's suggest is good I do that with Merlin or you can try a water squirter too.

Actually, I'm not sure if he's a boy. I'll try and get a good picture of him and post it up when I can so you can see him. And he has this weird obsession with water! He loves it. Maybe when it gets hotter I'll try a squirter but I'm reluctant to right now because it's the middle of Winter and it's so cold!

Sexing a budgie is quite easy as they are older.

If the cere (the part where their nostrils are) is a very deep blue you have a male

If the cere is a very light blue, light tan, or dark tan you have a hen.

In a few varieties the male cere can stay a bright pink so if he is over 6 months and it is pink then is could be a male.

Pics will help too :D.

The cere is like a light pink colour. Somebody told me once that white budgies don't have as obvious a cere colour as blue or green budgies. Is that true?

If he is a albino with red eyes his cere as a boy would stay pink as a girl it would go to a light tan, dark tan or very light blue.