Sign in to follow this  
howdyhellohi

Sad And Depressed Budgie(please Help)

Hi I have been given a 2year old male budgie thats partner recenly died of a tumor. The previous owner was going to have it put down due to its depression and change in behaviour since the death of its budgie friend. It has pulled all its tail feathers out, it just sits around when its let out of the cage and it hardly ever chirps or moves round the cage, it just sits next to the mirror. Do you have any ideas to improve this budgie's quality of life? I have only had it a week and it appears frightened of me. Is it too old to tame and bond with? Should I get a friend for it? When I let it out of the cage it just sits in a corner frightened.

thanks

Edited by KAZ

My immediate feeling is that I would get it a friend, it seems very upset, moreso than most budgies get after the loss of their mates. It is unusual for budgies to pull feathers out. You coud try and find someone near you with a budgie and take him into a room with a budgie in another cage and see if he perks up at the sound of the other one chirping, thAt would be the decider for me :huh:

I agree. Remove the mirror and get a friend for him, budgies are flock creatures and need to feel a strong bond with others. Where are you from - there are some very good breeders on her would could help you :blink:

Totally agree friend if you can't yet get rid of the mirror - add toys balls are great, he needs to be stimulated - Use of music is great to when you are not at home get some of those relaxtion cd's ( the ones that have the rainforest and outback sounds are fantastic) .....

He is sad for a few reasons 1 is mate is gone, 2 he's environment has changed

3 moved to yet another enviornment 4 he has a new owner

he needs to get over these too, which is alot for a bird, just keep talking to him brng him out ouf his cage and then when you can get a mate for him -

Even if it is a younger one ..Try not toget the same type though ( i did bad mistake) Margoo thought that snowwhite 2 was snow white 1 and tried to feed her and play and etc the same as he did with SW1 but he just got the cold shoulder, he needs to realise that it is a complete differnt bird ....

Thanks for all that great advice I will definately get it a friend. Does anyone know where I can get another budgie that would be suitable. I live in Narrabeen. How much would it cost? Someone mentioned that it should be similar age? Same sex or opposite? I don't really want them to breed.

Any tips on how to introduce them? ect.

Thanks so much.

Edited by KAZ

Personally I would get him another boy. two boys get along much better than a boy and girl - a hen complicates things where two boys just hang out and have fun hahaha ;)

hens are actually quite bossy and it could give him more grief

Do remember if you buy another budgie this new budgie must be in quarantine for 30 days don't just put the budgie in with the existing budgies, I mention this because I didn't see anyone else did. Merlin did very well as a lone budgie and they are lonely in the beginning but don't confuse sad and inactivity with possibly being sick, budgies recovery quickly and if the budgie is not active within a week again I would lean toward being sick not depressed.

Where is Narrabeen.

There may be a few breeders out there I am in NSW, but no idea where you are LOL

Do remember if you buy another budgie this new budgie must be in quarantine for 30 days don't just put the budgie in with the existing budgies, I mention this because I didn't see anyone else did. Merlin did very well as a lone budgie and they are lonely in the beginning but don't confuse sad and inactivity with possibly being sick, budgies recovery quickly and if the budgie is not active within a week again I would lean toward being sick not depressed.

Please heed this advice BEFORE you go looking for the new budgie :P