• Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  920
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi guys,

Some of you might have seen that I just bought some budgies just out of the nest. They're reasonably okay with me being close by (I can see them getting wary, but they usually don't fly off). I have already made the most basic of taming mistakes (thats why I came looking for help on the interperch) such as putting my hand in the cage day 1 and mistaking the bird staying still for it accepting my pattings, and seperating one of the birds out of cage thinking it would be better for taming, then sitting there watching it panic and calling out to its siblings (which were still in earshot), so I ended up putting him straight back in the big cage. Now they're all more frightened of me than they were to start with, and it doesn't help that I am a huge guy and my partner says I look and sound predatory, even when I'm trying to be reassuring! :P

Now, is it mean to seperate one of these birds, or is it just a matter of waiting a few weeks while they get used to me before I try it? Would sooner be better than later, or not at all? Or, would I be better off trying to tame all three, even though I have no taming experience?

Currently the large cage is sitting on the balcony up stairs on the north side of the house but protected from sunlight (except between 6am and 7am, and for half of that their cover is down). If I take one down stairs it wont get to see me during the day (except for when I work from home), but it will probably still be able to hear its bird buddies up stairs.

Or, should I just give up on finger taming them all together and just hope that one day they're not scared of me any more and leave it at that, and then go and buy one single bird and keep it down stairs and try to finger tame that one?

Lots of questions, lots of info, hopefully it's somewhat comprehensible.

Suggestions appreciated.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Taming 2 birds can be more challenging but it can be done especially when they are such a young age. In fact, birdluv is working on taming her 2 birds she has had for a while and has being having great success, she has posted her experience and journary on the boards.

Leaving them alone and hoping them will become used to you or tame is not going to happen. Birds need attention on a daily basis what type of attention you give in the beginning is very important. In the FAQ's under Budgie Behavior I wrote up a taming article much of what I wrote up can be used on 2 birds at the same time. I don't suggest you separating them because they will be more focused on calling for each other and being anxious.

I would focus on being part of their flock and having them accept you into their realm. Getting another budgie to have in a different part of the house is not the answer because 1. he will call to the other budgies and 2. you have to personally work with what you have first :P and you have 2 very young birds with a lot of potential.

We have members on here that have 2 plus birds and they are all tame.

• Member ID:  4,283

okay thanks Elly. I have 3 birds in the cage, and I have been spending a fair bit of time next to their cage talking to them, eating my lunch and just relaxing, but of course it's hard to do that all day because I have to work. My partner also spends a lot of time talking to her finches (in the cage under the budgies) and she also talks to the budgies a bit. I did actually end up getting one of them to eat millet spray while I was holding it, but for now I'm refraining from puting my hands in the cage except to change water and toys.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I will nip off and look at these journals shortly too. I want to tame all three but I think I might have got myself into something a little too advanced for my experience.

Edited by ShadowGhost

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

yep l agree with Elly. the key is to keep on interacting with them daily. the more time you spend with each one through out the day is better then none.

it may take them a while to get use to you but if you keep at it and not get discouraged, l'm sure in time they will be tamed since you are starting to tame them when they are quite young.

please keep us updated on your progress with them.

• Member ID:  4,283

yep l agree with Elly. the key is to keep on interacting with them daily. the more time you spend with each one through out the day is better then none.

it may take them a while to get use to you but if you keep at it and not get discouraged, l'm sure in time they will be tamed since you are starting to tame them when they are quite young.

please keep us updated on your progress with them.

Thanks Birluv. I guess the other thing that I need to work out is if keeping them outside all day is going to make it that bit harder. Even just now I ate breakfast with them, they were fine one minute then panicked the next, I realise it's because there are flocks of lorikeets and other birds flying past, possibly in panic because there are a lot of cockies here, and they love chasing the crows around the big gum across the road, in plain sight of my birds. I guess I could bring the cage inside with me while I work from home, but that seems unfair because its so beautiful outside.