• Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,745
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  27/11/1986

Hey Tam... all birds are different, like us humans I guess! Some are quiet and shy, some are loud and proud. Age does play a part, but some birds are just harder and more work to train than others. You'll need to keep at it, do it often (daily at the minimum). Keep positive, celebrate the small steps and remember to work at a pase he is comfortable at :P

Cheers Maesie :P He is lucky that he is just so cute :nest:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

yes all budgies are different when it comes to training. so far l have been lucky that they are wanting to be trained.

they have progressed so well, l will take more pictures of the sessions in a little while :)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Hi Birdluv

I have been following your journal and it is very exciting, you are doing so well so fast! I was just wondering though, when you take them individually into bedroom/bathroom, what do you do with them? I am still trying to train my male budgie that has just started his first moult, I have had him for 3 ½ months and we are not progressing that much.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you Tam :)

when l take them into the bedroom or bathroom, l usually will let them get on my finger and l constantly talk to them, whistle to them and l know this may sound silly but l have started to sing to them too. they do look at me like l'm crazy :D

have you been using millet to reward him?

unfortunately with some budgies, they might take a while to be tamed, another member had the same problems as you are having with her budgie too, the member is Elly, she wrote an article in the FAQ section on taming if you would like to read it http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/i...;highlight=tame

also, since you mentioned that your budgie is molting, he is probably grumpy at the moment but that will soon pass. my budgie Claire is also very grumpy and likes to bite me at the moment because she is starting a molt.

please keep us updated on your progress with your budgie, l would love to follow your journey with taming your budgie too.

Thank you for that. I have been following the FAQ section article, but I guess I am afraid of Coco becoming older and harder to train before he has made much progress. I don't know whether this was just a silly thought :) Everybody on the forum has been very helpful though. I often seem to read about people who make really quick progress, and i don't seem to be getting anywhere :hap: And yes, i do use millet to reward him, but he doesn't seem to want it enough to jump on my finger for it. He is such a stubborn little birdy ;)

How is your training going?

Is he clipped? I know people hate doing it but it make a world of difference in any age bird.

2 Month Update

Wow, l cannot believe it has been 2 months already, time sure fly's bye.

Hobbes and Claire has made great progress. I took them in the bedroom together for the very first time today. Before l went to the bedroom , l got them out of their cage by getting them on my finger in their cage and l put them in their traveling cage with out them biting me.

Once in the bedroom, l let them out of their traveling cage. At first they flew around the room. They started to play on some clothes and also on the ground.

DSCF0116600x450.jpg

DSCF0118600x450.jpg

also l took a video of them on the floor,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNXEXOYQE7E

I got them both on my fingers without any trouble and they stayed on for quite along time before they flew away.

I was talking to them while l tried to take this picture, l noticed Hobbes and Claire where both closing their eyes when l was whispering to them, they looked so cute. If you look at Claire in this picture you can see her eyes are closed.

DSCF0120600x450.jpg

hear is a nice close up

DSCF0121600x450.jpg

l believe they where getting annoyed with the camera in this picture :P

DSCF0122600x450.jpg

here is a short video of them on my hand, sorry for the quality of the video, it was hard to take it, using only my left hand and l couldn't see what l was shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKUMkvOJqDA

When it was time to put them back into their traveling cage, l had no trouble getting them back in by letting them come on my finger using the "up command." I'm very happy to tell you all that l received 0 bites from either budgie :o it is the very first time that this has ever happened to me. They have both come a very long way in such a short time. I can hardly believe that these two are the same budgie's 3 month's ago, who where still scared of my hands and would bite me whenever they would get the chance. I'm very proud of them. They are going to have some millet seeds tonight for being such good little budgies :P

what wonderful news, this is such an awesome topic and I love reading the updates, these 2 birds are just really doing awesome with you, it shows you can teach an old bird new trick :P

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Very cool. You 'three' are doing so well and congrats on the 'bite' free session. :D

• Member ID:  3,993
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,745
  • Birthday:  27/11/1986

Congratulations you are doing so well :hap: Very cute pics too :)

Hi BirdluvI have been following your journal and it is very exciting, you are doing so well so fast! I was just wondering though, when you take them individually into bedroom/bathroom, what do you do with them? I am still trying to train my male budgie that has just started his first moult, I have had him for 3 ½ months and we are not progressing that much. Any help appreciated!
Thank you Tam :)when l take them into the bedroom or bathroom, l usually will let them get on my finger and l constantly talk to them, whistle to them and l know this may sound silly but l have started to sing to them too. they do look at me like l'm crazy :Phave you been using millet to reward him? unfortunately with some budgies, they might take a while to be tamed, another member had the same problems as you are having with her budgie too, the member is Elly, she wrote an article in the FAQ section on taming if you would like to read it http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/i...;highlight=tamealso, since you mentioned that your budgie is molting, he is probably grumpy at the moment but that will soon pass. my budgie Claire is also very grumpy and likes to bite me at the moment because she is starting a molt.please keep us updated on your progress with your budgie, l would love to follow your journey with taming your budgie too.
Thank you for that. I have been following the FAQ section article, but I guess I am afraid of Coco becoming older and harder to train before he has made much progress. I don't know whether this was just a silly thought :D Everybody on the forum has been very helpful though. I often seem to read about people who make really quick progress, and i don't seem to be getting anywhere :P And yes, i do use millet to reward him, but he doesn't seem to want it enough to jump on my finger for it. He is such a stubborn little birdy :hap: How is your training going?
Is he clipped? I know people hate doing it but it make a world of difference in any age bird.
Oops, sorry for cutting in on your topic! Yes he is clipped, and we last night and tonight we have made heaps of progress with him stepping up, it is very exciting. Thanks for your support :D

Thanks, it is a wounderful feeling to be a member of their flock :D

Oops, sorry for cutting in on your topic! Yes he is clipped, and we last night and tonight we have made heaps of progress with him stepping up, it is very exciting. Thanks for your support :D

That's okay :hap:

l'm glad to hear that you are having alot of progress with your budgie. it is so neat seeing them become tame before your eyes. keep up the good work. l'm sure he will become tamed in no time :D

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  4,298
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  804
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,615
  • Birthday:  09/11/1994

Hobbes looks like my Jake and Claire looks like my Pixie except that Pixie is pied. Great job on training!

*** Update ***

It has been 3 months now!!!

Both of my budgies have made a tremendous progress :D

I am able to open my cage now and l can say to either budgie "up", and they will come on my finger. l'm still trying to get them to stay on my finger to put them into the travelling cage but each time of me doing this they are becoming use to that idea of staying on my finger until l place them into the other cage.

I have no trouble with either of them when l let them out of their cage, they have become use to me handling them, and best of all they do not bite me hard any more, they only nibble my finger tips :D

One of their biggest improvement happened today, while l had let them both out in the bathroom, when all of a sudden Hobbes went on my shoulder and stayed there for a good 5 minutes :D

Looking back now l can see such a difference in their attitude towards me as being part of their flock, l use to be the one looking in and not at all apart of their flock. Now l am apart of the flock, it feels awesome that they have accepted me and they let me interact with them daily. It is such a difference having tame budgies then not having tame budgies. l would not even know how to begin to explain it. I'm just so happy to have been able to have 2 2year old budgies tame. I'm sure that going to the vets now will be alot more easier then when my budgies where not tamed at all :P

That's so great. It just goes to show... you CAN teach an older budgie new tricks :wub: I'm so happy for you all. You must be very proud of yourself and your 'kids'. Keep it up and I look forward to more great updates!

• Member ID:  3,695
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,125
  • Birthday:  27/03/1994

Great news! :wub:.

Absolutely awesome and what a great post for others to refer back, it really is all about patience and wanting to be part of their family. :wub:

• 7 months later...

Wow, it has been along time since l did an update. I think that it is about time that l did one.

It has been almost one year in March, since l decided to tame them. I have to admit that since the middle of October, l started to get a little busy and had less time with my budgies. I did not spend as much time handling them as l did when l was doing this journal. l still talked to them constantly and let them out to fly around but l did not feel like the same bonding was happening between us. Since they both started to bond with each other again and they started to ignore me, which was my fault for not keeping up the daily handling :D

They have since grown all their flight feathers in again and l wanted to start taming them again. So today l got them both back in their traveling cage and headed to the bathroom to trim their feathers, so l could handle them easier. I noticed when l was catching them in their cage. They where not really afraid of my hand, they let me catch them, but of course my hen Claire started to nip at me but not bite me to my amazement. Sooo she did remember her training of not biting my hand :P That was a very good sign, another good sign is they both where willing to go on my hand while trying to put them in their traveling cage.

I got to the bathroom and l took my scissors out and l first got Claire and trimmed the feathers. She sat on my finger as she did before but she was a little skittish. So l will just spend some alone time with her to get her accustomed to me again. I do not think it will take long. She has always been a little skittish around me. My goal for her, which l think would be nice in the future. Is for her to become less skittish so l could let my 4 year old niece handle her. My niece adores my budgies, she is always wanting to hold them or for me to put them on her hand but she is skittish about them like Claire is. This will take time but l know that she will overcome this. Claire has improved a 110% more then when l first started to tame them.

Now Hobbes is very different. l trimmed his feathers and the first thing that he did was he sat on my finger for a split secound. He crawled right up my chest and sat on my shoulders :D I sat their totally shocked that he trusted me so much still!!! He sat their for awhile until l put my finger near him and said "up." He right away stepped up. I told him up a couple of times and sure enough each time he stepped up.

I then opened up the door and called for my niece. She came running but l told her to come slowly so she wouldn't scare Hobbes. She came into the bathroom and l shut the door. I tried to get Hobbes to step up on her fingers but he was a little scared since he was only used to me. I thought it is was kind of funny to see how Hobbes would just climb further up my arm to get away from her finger. I eventually did get him to go on her elbow. My niece was over the moon with excitement. After l got him to come to me again. I then thought that l would do a test with Hobbes. I told my niece to go wait in the living room with her mom and my mom. Off she went, l asked them to see if the cat was there and the said no. So l carefully went to the living room with Hobbes on my finger. He just sat there quietly and content. l got to the living room and asked my niece to come to me. I put Hobbes on her again, this time he was more confident with her and sat on her. Then her mom asked if she could try and hold him and of course l said yes. To my amazement he happily went and sat on her finger and went up on her shoulder. He sat with her for awhile.

I then got Hobbes on my finger just in time because the cat decided to come into the living room at that moment. l carefully went back to the bathroom

and put him back with Claire. I then went back to their cage and let them into their cage.

I'm just so happy to see how much they have improved and how much they remembered :D

Okay, l know you are probably sitting their after reading this and saying " what no pictures???"

Do not worry, l did not take any pics today BUT tomorrow l plan on putting the cat in a different room. Bringing Hobbes out to the living room with the family and video taping him on my niece and on me. l will try and do Claire but that will just be pics or video with me and not with my family, l do not think she is ready for that yet. unlike Hobbes is.

Edited by birdluv
oops just relized l made an error with a word. I fixed it.

Thanks for the update... and it's great to hear they remember. Looking forward to those photos!!!

thank you for the update Cathy, this journal is awesome to show people with time and effort they can acheive what they want :).

Well, l have two pictures and a video of Hobbes, unfortuantly l was unable to get a picture of him on my niece :wub: here is why

I brought Hobbes to the bathroom and he seemed to be fine with me He stepped up when l asked him to and he seemed to be calm. So l went out to put the cat into another room and brought Hobbes into the living room. I tried to get him out of the traveling cage but he coward in the corner and he looked afraid. I believe he was afraid because the tv was on quite loud. I should have left him alone at that time and put him back into his cage but l was not thinking.

I took him out and he went on my shoulder(l took a really short video of him doing this), then l was trying to get him to go on my sister. He did not want to so he took off. He landed near my mom and went under the couch. Now our couch is a pretty big long L shape couch. I started to freak out a little bit We started to pull out the couch by each section. We finally moved the last section and he was in the corner. I got him and l took him back to his cage. I felt so bad that l did not listen to my instincts and just put him back into his cage, instead of trying to get him to go on my sister. The next time l will be with him in a room just ourselves and when l feel he is ready, l will try again and not have the tv blaring.

Here are two pictures before the incident with the couch. The pictures are low quality.

IMGA0731.jpg

IMGA0732.jpg

This video was also taken before the incident and I'm sorry for the poor quality, next time l will try to do better.

th_20090201_195900.jpg

• 4 years later...

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

**BUMP!** I decided to pin this topic, because it is my "go to" thread whenever anybody asks me how to tame their bird. And today I had a hard time finding it. I hope everyone is okay with that. :)

Edited by Finnie

**BUMP!** I decided to pin this topic, because it is my "go to" thread whenever anybody asks me how to tame their bird. And today I had a hard time finding it. I hope everyone is okay with that. :)

Thanks!

I was thinking of pinning it too :)