• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  885
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Our pet shops use to sell egg biscuits for budgies but they don't anymore and I can't find any to buy...now before you shoot me down, I have looked through the forum but can't find any recipes for egg biscuits....my question is, can these be made easily and if so what's the recipe and how is it done...my birds won't touch cooked egg on it's own so I want to try egg biscuits and maybe add some other things to tempt them...any help or advice welcome. Thanks :D

Edited by lisa

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Here is one that I got from Bea, I know it is not the actual biscuit.

When i make mine i get a hard boiled egg, bread crumbs, bird seed, and my birds favourite veggies.

You microwaves the egg shell for about 2 mins and smash that into a fine powder. You add that to mashed hard boiled egg. Sprinkle some bread crumbs over the top just enough to spread right through the mix. Add a tablespoon or two of the budgies seed mix and then mix some finely chopped veggies in as well and stir it all together.

We also have a PINNED receipe post in the Food and Nutrition Section did you look through it? I am not sure if it is on there. Also a google for egg biscuits may yield even more information.

Hope this helps :D.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I dont know about EGG BISCUITS but I do know of Egg and BISCUIT. Egg and biscuit is a crumb mix that you can serve dry or wetted to form a sofy mush. Egg & biscuit is available in all bird shops and also supermarkets in the pet section.

We have Egg Biscuits here in the US Kaz. They are a very hard like bread and what I do is when I buy them I crumble them up since Merlin won't touch them whole. Here is what they look like http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyID=3970 My opinion though is if you make it fresh there is much more nutrients in it then the store bought.

We have Egg Biscuits here in the US Kaz. They are a very hard like bread and what I do is when I buy them I crumble them up since Merlin won't touch them whole. Here is what they look like http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyID=3970 My opinion though is if you make it fresh there is much more nutrients in it then the store bought.

Interesting :D

• Member ID:  1,557

Here is one that I got from Bea, I know it is not the actual biscuit.

When i make mine i get a hard boiled egg, bread crumbs, bird seed, and my birds favourite veggies.

You microwaves the egg shell for about 2 mins and smash that into a fine powder. You add that to mashed hard boiled egg. Sprinkle some bread crumbs over the top just enough to spread right through the mix. Add a tablespoon or two of the budgies seed mix and then mix some finely chopped veggies in as well and stir it all together.

We also have a PINNED receipe post in the Food and Nutrition Section did you look through it? I am not sure if it is on there. Also a google for egg biscuits may yield even more information.

Hope this helps :D.

This is the mixture I made up on a few occasions but they wouldn't touch it :D .....the egg biscuits you can buy in the US are the same as we use to be able to buy here and the birds loved them...I just wondered if there was a recipe for those.....birds are such fussy creatures :(Laughing out loud):

Polly Biscuits

1 C - uncooked oatmeal

3/4 C - powdered milk

1/3 C - butter

1/2 C - cornmeal

1 tsp - vegetable bouillon

1 egg, beaten, with shell (washed)

1 1/2 C - hot water

3 1/2 C - multigrain flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large bowl, pour hot water over the oatmeal, butter, and bouillon. Let it stand about 5 minutes. Stir in the powdered milk, cornmeal, and the egg. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Knead 5-7 minutes, adding more flour if necessary to make a very stiff dough. Roll out on a floured board to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Bake for about 35-50 minutes. Allow to cool and place on wire rack to totally dry before storing. This makes about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs.

Make birdie bread!

Here's a recipe that I found:

2 6 oz jars baby food sweet potatoes

2 jars baby food tropical fruit

1-1 1/2 cups pellets or 4 tbss hand feeding formula

3 eggs and eggshells (crushed)

I recycle pellets left in our birds' bowls (We use uncolored pellets). Mix eggs and baby food. Use a little in a small blender/processor to crush the egg shells (calcium source). Mix in remaining ingredients. Put in paper cupcakes or muffin tins- 4 tsps each. Microwave 1-2 mins until firm. Or bake in toaster oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes till firm. Makes 12 servings. Serve warm, but not too hot.[/i]

Here is another one I found too :D

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

In your case where you have only two birds I think it would be easier if you could locate some prepared egg & biscuit, as then you could moisten a small amount each day to try with your birds, as often birds given a new produce will ignore it at first & you have to persist for some time before they start to eat it on a regular basis.

Having said that the home made product I think is far better for your birds because of it’s freshness & you control it’s ingredient.

Because you are in the UK things we recommend may not be available, but this is a simple recipe

To one hard-boiled egg, crushed finely, add on Arrowroot biscuit also crushed one Shredded Wheatmeal Biscuit also crushed. Hope these are available there. And a small amount of Wholemeal bread crumbs. Then you can also add some crushed eggs shell as others have said & other ingredient, like corn nibblets. The mixture should be slightly moistened, but be careful as they don’t like it too dry or too wet, just a nice crumbly state.

As you will notice, that for only two birds this smallest recipe using just one egg will give you far too much for two birds to eat, it is best fed on the day it is made, but could be kept for a day or two in the frig, but maybe the rest should be fed to another pet if you have it & made fresh daily.

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Most Egg and Biscuit mix is too high in biscuit and not enough egg. It's best to make your own as Elly said.

Also great recipes girls. :wub:

• Member ID:  1,557

Thanks everyone...so it looks as if I should just keep trying with the egg mix.... :P will let you know if and when they take to it... :hap: