• Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  4,125
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  31/01/1980

My boy ... the "Weebil" screams. It's the most annoying high pitched " WHEEEEEP " that you could ever imagine. It's so loud & annoying it wakes up people in another apartment. Not good.

So you can imagine how bad it is in person in my apartment. In the morning. VERY EARLY IN THE MORNING ! He freaks out & starts this screaming the moment his lady flys around & leaves his side. He screeeeeeches & won't stop. She can be a foot away from him & the continuous WHEEEEEP will go on & on & on.

I have no idea how to make this stop. I talk to him. I plead & beg with him. I've clapped my hands loudly & snapped my fingers at him. NOTHING.

WHEEEEP WHEEEEP WHEEEEP ... I am at the end of my rope.

I actually like it when he is molting. He stays quiet & stays in the cage being mopey.

ANY IDEAS HOW TO MAKE THE BOY HUSH UP ???????????????????

Before I get an Eviction Notice for Disturbing Other Tenants ? :)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

The best way to get a budgie from not screeching is to cover them up with a dark sheet and make sure you use a dark sheet to cover him at night and dark enough not to let the morning light in until you are ready to uncover him. Budgies usually sing and call first thing in the morning then they settle down in the mid-afternoon and will start up again late afternoon. Using the sheet to calm him down can work during these time but don't leave him covered all the time as that is not good for him but it can calm him down. Spring is around the corner and yes I know it doesn't feel like it quite yet where you live but the days are starting to get longer and the birds are waking up earlier so using the dark sheet to filter out the early morning light will be the solution to your problem until he settles down. What he is doing is natural so don't punish him by shaking the cage, clapping your hands, hitting or anything like that (not that you would just putting it out there) because it won't stop him it will make him fearful of you. He is just calling for his lady friend when she leaves just like what we do unforunately he doesn't conform to human manners so to speak so he doesn't understand it is annoying to us. Keeping his cage dark until you and the rest of the world are ready to wake up is your key. :).

Edited by Elly

• Member ID:  3,939

Everything you say makes sense Elly. The problem is ... he is out & free when this happens. The birds are out of the cage & doing "their thing" at 8:00 am every morning.

They spend most of the day on top of the play center eating fresh foods & running around & playing & ( HIM SCREAMING ). So I can't cover them. I don't have a hands on relationship with him. He is a skittish mess. I don't dare spook him by trying to put a cover over him when he can just fly away somewhere else in the room.

Today my neighbor complained about the noise.

I closed the blinds on the window & covered the window with a dark sheet.

It did help after a while. But not soon enough.

Do you not cage your birds at night? If not they need to be caged for their own safety and a place for refuge. If they are caged how do they get out at 8AM? I wouldn't let them out that early to scream I would keep them covered at that time if that is when you are getting the complaints. Please elaborate more...

Edited by Elly

They go to bed each night at 7pm, that's when its dark here. I cover their cage up & make it darker for them. They sleep till 7:30 - 8:00 am. Then they demand to start their day. They want out of the cage in the morning because they know they will get their fresh foods fruits & veggies which they eat on the top play center.

All day long they come & go in & out of their cage any time they want. They fly around & exercise & do their thing in this giant room. I am usually in the room working. I am never far away from them.

But during this time of freedom, the male starts this screeching !

I can't just walk over to him & toss a cover over him. He is free & on top of the cage. When I walk over to him he runs from me as it is. I can't make him more scared of me by trying to throw a cover on him when I know he can just fly away.

If I had a hands on relationship with him I could just put him in the cage & cover him till he settles down. But I can't get him to respond to me. I've tried for months to get him to come to some sort of trust with me. But he was too badly stressed & damaged when I got him from the Humane Society. There is no hope for me ever getting him to trust me. All I would like to do is try to curb the insane noise that comes out of this little green bird.

This is not the type of call he is calling to get his lady to come back to his side. I know that call. She calls me when I walk out of the room. The hen & I are close.

But what he is doing is ALARM Calling. It's a full out sounding screeching alarm. Much like a fire alarm sounds. The strange thing is ... nothing is close to him or near him that is threatening him. He is just screaming.

Oh ... this screeeching screaming ? It happens allllllll dayyyyyyyyy !

Edited by NickNack

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

A Budgies single call note is just normal for them; I don’t think there is much you can do about it, if the bird is free in a room. The only way is as others have suggested to cover his cage, but you can’t do that all day. It’s just normal for them to be vocal; it’s just their nature.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I have never heard any of my birds make a sound like a fire alarm. He is actually sounding a bit like a Cockatiel. They do the WHEEEEEP!WHEEEEEP!WHEEEEEP! sound you describe - I know he's not a Cockatiel, but perhaps he is mimicking a sound he learnt from his previous home? e.g. a companion Cockatiel or perhaps he lived close to someone with an alarm that sounded often? He might be "talking"

I don’t think he is trying to be naughty and he certainly doesn’t sound unhappy or bored.

They always say to replace bad behavior with good behavior.

Perhaps try and teach him some words to say instead???

Will a radio or music help?

Have you ever tried misting him with a water sprayer - they love it and it might distract him from his calling?

Good Luck.

Liv, I think had a good suggestion there when he is screeching you can mist him and see if that quiets him down. If he doesn't like to be misted it will stop the behavior without hurting him and he will learn this is not approriate. Merlin doesn't screech like that either so it sounds very odd like maybe something is scaring him? Do you have a window in this room without a blind or are the blinds open where maybe he can see other birds flying by or threatening him?

You know ... there might be some truth to that Liv ... Learned it from a cockatiel ? He came from a place where there were tiels & many other strange birds. Unfortunate for me & the neighbors ... he likes that annoying "WHEEEP" sound the best.I don't know if I would try to spray him with a mister. He sees me as a threat most of the time. I don't want to make him more afraid of me. I have tried to make him do other things. He likes to bath daily so I encourage that. As well as leaving him foods he loves. I thought the snapping of my fingers or the clapping of my hands while near him would help. I learned it didn't. I would never shake a cage or hurt a bird.I am at a loss of what else to do. Could my little green boid be pretending to be a big ole cockatiel to impress his hen ?He & the hen don't pay alot of attention to the window. They don't really go near it. I'm in the middle of a busy city & there are not a lot of birds here.He will just sit on the cage & screech. I am not near him. There are no other animals in the house but him & his little woman. So there is nothing to threaten him.I know he does not like the stereo or loud sounds .... coughing or clearing my throat can make him scream. He just lets er rip.There is nothing going on when this happens. I can't hear the neighbors. The neighbors have a baby that cries & I don't hear it. But they can all hear this bird.I have been out on the street 4 houses away during the summer & talking to a friend & can hear this little bird screech. The friend was laughing saying he hears that call all the time from my place.That gives you an idea of how loud he is.

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

That’s a good suggestion by Liv: if he was kept somewhere else, especially by himself with no other Budgie around they are great mimics, if it’s not a normal Budgie sound he may have learnt it from something else like a Cockatiel.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I have a princess parrot that learnt his call from a galah he grew up with. He sounds very different from all our other Princess Parrots :)

Misting is not a punishment, but more a distraction :)

My birds love it when i mist them, they fluff about and preen having a ball in the shower of little droplets. I do it from a distance and it's very gentile. Too close and they will sneeze and shake their heads. They all quietly groom themselves (and each other) afterwards. It could help break the cycle of screeching :)

Yep I know how you meant it Liv. :)

But on the other hand hehe Pretty hated to be misted so when he got on my curtains and I needed him off I would mist him the bottle in site got him off. :).

By the way, I have a girlfriend that knows a lot about budgies and I sent your issue to her I hope you don't mind. Anyways, she said she is writing up an article about different types of screeching and she is going to get back to me on it and then I will share with you and others.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Birds are smart. They can have you running around in circles after them. Seems like they have you well trained already with the early starts. My daughters tiel was like your budgie and he needed re training to show who was boss.

When animals or birds have habits and some of them not good ones, you have to rearrange the consistencies of their day. Change all the exisitng habits to keep them guessing....like their dinner times, their bedtimes, the exact food they expect at an exact time. Just like others are told to rearrange cages for distraction therapy, so must habitual parts of a birds day be changed to keep a strong bird under some form of control.

If something isnt done you put where you live and how you live in danger with your neighbours etc.

I would be covering the cage like suggested and not uncovering it for an extra hour or two in the morning...there one routine changed. Change the food selection maybe once he is up and about too.

What you have ended up with is a budgie that has YOU well trained to jump when he says jump. :)

Guest lonebudgie

Ive heard a budgie sound like a rosella , Yours must have one loud budgie to annoy the neighbour. :budgiedance:

Maybe they had a fight and shes ignoring him , :yelling:

:D

Edited by lonebudgie

:ygbudgie: I used to cover everybody but since I moved into a shared house with my Mother , I keep the temperatures really warm and don't bother covering, everybody is REALLY good and they hardly give a tweet until get up, even the quarantine birds in the spare bedroom. Guess I am lucky that I have set the mood and they go with it!! :(Laughing out loud):

Great advice from all & I thank you in advance.

Tomorrow ... I will try the mist with the spray bottle. I will also let them sit for a little longer in the cage under their cover. See if that helps & or ... rattles them a little.

Changing the routine makes sense. I hope !

I hate to say it ... but I was happier when he molted. He stayed in the cage & was moody & quiet & didn't sing or relate to anyone. It was a quiet time for about 3 weeks or more. I forgot the screech noise during that time. Although its sad that he was so down & out when waiting for new feathers to come in. Not a nice time for any bird.

My hen is more vocal that him. She sings insanely all the time. But it is nice & melodic to hear. I love the different noises that she makes & they are never loud & hard on the ears.

What a difference between 2 birds. I've had budgies before & never have I heard this wheep wheep screech sound from any of them. But thinking back ... I do recall the sound cockatiels make & this sound Weebil makes is very much like a tiels calls.

I am talking to my girlfriend she wants to know how long have you had Weebil, how old is he and if you have ever looked into captive foraging? :D

Also when does he do most of his screeching? When you leave the room? When you are in the room? When you are talking to him?

Edited by Elly

Hi Elly, thanks to you & your friend for the brain storming of my Weebil.

The Weebil is about 1 & a half years old. He screeches all day & any time of the day. He does not screech at me because I am talking to him or I am close to him. He is just screeching. I try not to go near him when it occurs. I have tried to talk to him quietly & get his attention. He just screeches away. The screech doesn't occur when I go near him. He just starts on his own when he gets out of the cage & starts his day.

He isn't calling me back to the room with this call he makes ... I know that call. The hen makes that call to me all the time when I leave the room. I've had other budgies in the past that call me to come back in the room. I know most of the budgie calls. It's this annoying screeching WHEEP that he does at all times & any time that makes me nuts & I have no idea why he does it.

Thank god he sleeps a few times during his daily routine.

You said - "My hen is more vocal that him. She sings insanely all the time. But it is nice & melodic to hear. I love the different noises that she makes & they are never loud & hard on the ears."

are you sure your hen is a HEN??? :D

hens dont tend to "Sing", they will cherp, but not have that lovely song that the boys have.

Perhaps your screemer IS looking for a hen afterall :D hehehe

Edited by **Liv**

:hap: Wish I could help you out, I have 6 budgies now and have had budgies for many years, not to mention the fosters and NONE of them have ever screeched, I did have one very LOUD and enthusiastic one but he never screamed. Only screamers I have ever had have been cockatiels, ?maybe a new buddy??different, bigger cage constantly rearranged?? I just don't know. :)

OH NO .... **LIV** .... please please tell me my hen is a hen.

She has a dark brownish reddish cere. I thought that was the only way to know.

Yes ... she sings ... SINGS her face off ! She sings & calls & has little vocal budgie blathering conversations with me, showing me me "BUDGIE ATTITUDE" all the time. She is funny & smart ! But not loud & annoying such as the Weebil.

Oh please don't tell me she is a he .... (Laughing out loud)

Its hard without a picture to go by.

Her temproment sounds a lot like a Male. :hap:

Boys sing and bob their heads when they are happy. They are more social than the hens and will talk to anything, even their perch or the wire on their cage hehe. hens tend to let out sweet little chirps rather than sing.

The colour of the male cere is a pinky, purpleish, brownish colour if your bird is a recessive pied :wub:

Just to clarify in the recessive variety in males the cere does not go brown it stays a pink and usually a very deep pink :hap:, it maybe a purplish pink but never tan or brown like in a hen

OH OH .... I may have another cock then.

The temperment of this bird is making me wonder. This bird SINGS ! It SINGS so pretty ! It has lots of ranges & goes high & low & is so sweet to listen to. It's not just a one single light chirp that I am told is what a hen does. This bird sings ALOT !

The more I look at the cere the more I think its purplish pink ... its dark.

AYE AYE AYE !