• Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,283
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,095
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  26/03/1998

I have spied with my little eye a perfect cage for Dude. It is the one with about 60cm across and 45cm high. AND they sell them in our hardware store for $35! I just have to convince my parents to let me buy it with my own money. It would make a good hospitaal cage or quarrantine cage for us as our old one broke and it wasn't suitable ( got sucked in by pet shop owners)anyway.

• Member ID:  5,779
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  497
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  3,455
  • Birthday:  07/08/1989

I found a cage and have put it on lay-by :)

I didn't get the depth, but the width is 60cm (The depth is a little less than that i believe) It looks something like this

Not exactly though. The one I got is wider and shorter, so the little pointy bits are shorter as well. $155 (with stand)....is that reasonable do you think? :D

Cage.jpg

Edited by Maddy
  • 1 year later...

• Member ID:  7,182
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  135

Thankyou for this great thread. Finding this helped me realise the cage Sweetheart was in was not suitable so I went out and bought him a new flight cage 76cm wide 45depp 45 high. He was very happy in his new cage until his death Thursday night (I guess 8yrs old was too old to be moved around).

I am now on a mission as I keep seeing people refer to cages as being suitable for a budgie that aren't. There is a facebook page for my local area (has members from all over) that is a Bird page, a few days ago a girl (the page admin) was asking for a cage similar to the previous poster and I linked this thread to show her its unsuitability for budgies let alone any other parrot (she wants it for quakers) and Today one of the "experts" linked a cage for sale that would suit a budgie 30cm wide 25deep and 45 high, I linked this thread to try to help and said it would only be suitable for a quarantine cage or travel not a home for a bird.

Then there was a flight cage for sale for $20 I missed it (the admin of the bird page got it, first person to post sold gets it), and I mentioned how perfect it was for budgies, canaries and finches (as they need the same size as budgies, small cages are bad for them too) and she said it was the same as the one she kept her rainbow lorri in.

So new mission I found a great page with the Pittwater Animal Hospital that lists various birds, housing requirements, health, feed, training and colours and linked that and suggest it be used to create a minimum cage requirement doc for all in the group to read.

The alarming thing is the 2 admins come across so knowledgeable and clearly on this matter they are not, but they have many asking them for advice.

I wish there was a way to do a public awareness campaign of the importance of providing proper housing for birds so those that are told the wrong thing (as I was for some time) can learn.

Edited by coubay
  • 1 month later...

• Member ID:  7,245
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  255

What if the budgie is out most of the time?? hmm dam it just brought my daughters cage

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

If the cage is too small or wrong and as yet unused....take it back

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  6,947
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  393
  • Achievement Points:  2,625
  • Birthday:  16/04/1998

What I find, is that budgies in a cage will only climb around, and they will fly when in an aviary... and KAZ, I'll have to disagree with you when you say that taller cages are more suitable for finches and canaries, because finches and canaries, like any other bird, fly horizontally (although I have seen my finches jump up vertically and flapped their wings once or twice to go up 90 degrees) If anything, a taller cage is more suitable for a budgie/parrot because they're more climbers than flyers in captivity unless you free flight train them :)

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

hello ,in reading this post , and many others i have come to the conclushion that ,fliptrain has no clue about budgies and their needs and their care and i hope that everybody who is looking for advice ..DOE NOT HEED WHAT FLIPTRAIN SAYS

i for one have left the forum only popping in at times because of people like your fliptrainer ..you not only are unawhear how many people read what you say and actually belive you are experianced and have knolage about budgies when anyone that does have a clue advice worth listning to are ignore due to your very poor knolage thinking you know best this is very dangourous as its the poor birds that are suffering from people comming here to learn and being told clearly very none experiance member whom clearly hasent even reserched this forum himself or would know better to say such rediculess advice .....isa hill you posted asking advice kaz the forums admin (not for lack of knolage ) awnsered aproprietly and corectly i sugest you listen to her over young inexperianced members ...fliptrain my advice to you is before you go giveing anymore advice ..one learn what budgies eat cause its not pellets two learn what cage requirements budgies need cause its not climbing room up wards and three buy the challange by gerald binks and read cover to cover before telling anyone anything on here again im actually discusted that your bad advice can not somehow be hidden from sight ........gb

I was only saying that if you have to get a tall cage, only use it for a parrot, because they only really climb in cages in me and my families experience? :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  7,312
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  4
  • Achievement Points:  40

I know this is an old thread but it's very informative, so... does anyone know of any store in Australia (or online store) that makes cages that are long, instead of tall? For example, take cage five and turn it on its side kind of length. I feel like that would make a much better cage and I don't understand why I can't find one like that... I'm guessing it has to do with space issues but I really think my budgie would love one like that...

A petsone or Avione (I think that's the brands name) flightcage would be about the minimum I would give a budgie... I've got a pretty similar to this one 5004..jpg

I'd say that it'd fit 2 or 3 budgies comfortably, but I wouldn't go putting anymore in, because they might get territorial :( Hope I helped :)

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  7,392
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  240
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,280
  • Birthday:  02/06/1962

cage2-1.jpg

I just bought a pack of these cages for myself for breeding cages and they are brilliant. A pack of six of them cost me $155 from ebay ( I bought 12 ) biggrin.gif

I am using one of these cages as a breeding cage also with little mod(3mm ply cable tied to sides and roof and cut out for access to external mounted nest box) they work well for this perpose. I also used this cage as bird home for some time and they seemed quite happy with the space provided. Bought mine from a pet shop for abt $50.00 retail

Flip-trainer do more research

I dont claim to be an expert but common sense must prevail well said gb

Edited by paulie

• Member ID:  7,482
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  2,910

paulie I breed budgies in them cages as well, if i didn't buy breeding cabinets that would of been my choice for a breeding cage.

nice idea with the ply.

also its quite easy to split them into 2 for keeping your trouble budgies divided from each other.

I cable tied some wire mesh just to separate these budgies until their feathers grow back.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

cage2-1.jpg

I just bought a pack of these cages for myself for breeding cages and they are brilliant. A pack of six of them cost me $155 from ebay ( I bought 12 ) biggrin.gif

I am using one of these cages as a breeding cage also with little mod(3mm ply cable tied to sides and roof and cut out for access to external mounted nest box) they work well for this perpose. I also used this cage as bird home for some time and they seemed quite happy with the space provided. Bought mine from a pet shop for abt $50.00 retail

Flip-trainer do more research

I dont claim to be an expert but common sense must prevail well said gb

I use these cages but I totally remove the whole front and put it back upside down...then I have created drop down doors...one for the nestbox and the other I cable tie up ...I also flip the main front door....in doing this I dont need to cut the bars for a nestbox entry cage.jpg

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  7,640
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  6
  • Achievement Points:  50
  • Birthday:  20/11/1965

I purchased this setup off of e-bay 3 weeks ago for $100

c5e5ad24-0672-4e03-8047-57d4c2c8dd8a_zpseb76ee59.jpg

and I have made the perch's go front to back in them.

I also purchased a large flight cage that is 750 L x 450 W x 450 H from the only pet store we have in town for my 2 tiels for $65

I have seen some flight cages for sale on gumtree

their are some nice idea's in this thread that I will have to try with the plywood and turning the cage front upside down.

Edited by Caktusjack

• Member ID:  7,482
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  2,910

I like that idea kaz well looks like I will be doing this I know with all my budgies I am not going to have enough breeding cabinets.

$(KGrHqZHJCIFC0R1HmOqBQwIvJYm6w~~60_57.JPG

these are nice cages :)