Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Painting...

Recommended Posts

Hi there, I've got to do some decorating in my living room and was wondering whether the paint fumes will harm Tommy and Beaky? Is it best to put them in a different room while I am decorating? If so, how long should I leave it before I can safely put them back in the living room? I will be using emulsion paint on the walls and satin wood paint for the doors, skirtings etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi there, I've got to do some decorating in my living room and was wondering whether the paint fumes will harm Tommy and Beaky? Is it best to put them in a different room while I am decorating? If so, how long should I leave it before I can safely put them back in the living room? I will be using emulsion paint on the walls and satin wood paint for the doors, skirtings etc.

 

 

From my experience and as you well already maybe know budgies have a really poor sense of smell, i would wait till most of the smell is gone then relocare it back but move it to another room for the time being, the saying goes

 

Best to be safe than sorry even if it may not do harm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether or not a bird has a poor sense of smell has nothing much to do with whether or not paint fumes would be harmful. They are harmful, and it would be best to remove the birds during the time of painting and for some weeks afterwards I would say.

Air Quality:

 

Birds are especially sensitive to contaminants in the air.

 

* Aerosol products of any kind should not be used around your bird.

* Cigarette smoke has been implicated in chronic respiratory problems in pet birds.

* Carbon monoxide is also dangerous to birds, so use a carbon monoxide detector in the home, and be careful not to run your vehicle in an attached garage.

* Plug-in Air Fresheners, Scented Candles, Potpourri, Artificial Scented Flowers, Scented Soap, Some Perfumes have great potential for toxic fumes. Do not use around birds and do not spray on any item that your bird may chew.

* Aerosols / Sprays: Mosquito sprays, cleaning sprays, Lysol, etc. should not be sprayed while your bird is present in the room. They are toxic when inhaled by the bird and will lead to health problems or even death. Also, do not use cleaners/ chemicals on items the bird might chew.

* Kitchen Fumes / Hazards: The kitchen presents the most dangerous environment for your bird. Steam and fumes burden the respiratory passages in birds. Overheated cooking oil can be as lethal to birds as teflon fumes. Be sure to remove birds from the kitchen immediately if you burn oil, and vent the room thoroughly. Stovetops and ovens are dangerous zones for pet birds to be anywhere close to. Keep birds away from the kitchen, and keep the house ventilated.

* Cleaners, Aerosols, Febreeze: Avoid the use of aerosolized chemicals around your birds. Remove your bird from the environment until the smell has completely subsided. Do not use aerosols on items the bird might chew.

* Ozone Generating Air Cleaning System and Ozonators - Helpful or Harmful?

* Teflon / Non-stick Cookware / Surfaces

 

 

 

Home Renovations:

 

Home improvement projects are generally dangerous for birds. Adhesive or paint fumes are deadly to birds. Please remove your bird from any areas that are under renovation; or shares "air space" with the renovated area -- as the toxic fumes will easily move from one area to the next. Maybe board your bird with a friend until the situation is stabilized at home.

 

 

 

 

There are many sites on the net devoted to things toxic to birds....paint fumes is just one of many. Good thing you sensed a problem and asked the questions :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whether or not a bird has a poor sense of smell has nothing much to do with whether or not paint fumes would be harmful. They are harmful, and it would be best to remove the birds during the time of painting and for some weeks afterwards I would say.

Air Quality:

 

Birds are especially sensitive to contaminants in the air.

 

 

 

Home Renovations:

 

Home improvement projects are generally dangerous for birds. Adhesive or paint fumes are deadly to birds. Please remove your bird from any areas that are under renovation; or shares "air space" with the renovated area -- as the toxic fumes will easily move from one area to the next. Maybe board your bird with a friend until the situation is stabilized at home.

 

 

 

There are many sites on the net devoted to things toxic to birds....paint fumes is just one of many. Good thing you sensed a problem and asked the questions :)

 

okay, thanks, I'll definitely move them into another room and make sure the door between the rooms is shut to stop the fumes from transferring between rooms. A couple of weeks should be long enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when painting I would try and pick something that is the least non harmful for the enviroment and pets...I would think a week or 2 will work well. Budgies lungs are so delicate and the lining can be damaged and cause respiratory failure. So keeping the house ventilated and the budgies in a closed room during this process is your best bet. Kaz's advice and information is right on target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

couldnt agree more - drying paint isnt even nice for humans to smell all the time (well not legally anyway) and the same goes for snakes.

 

sure their smell sensors are perhaps a bit more in tune... but i dont think you need great receptors to be affected by paint fumes. it still gets into the blood stream.

 

Whether or not a bird has a poor sense of smell has nothing much to do with whether or not paint fumes would be harmful. They are harmful, and it would be best to remove the birds during the time of painting and for some weeks afterwards I would say.

Air Quality:

 

Birds are especially sensitive to contaminants in the air.

 

 

 

Home Renovations:

 

Home improvement projects are generally dangerous for birds. Adhesive or paint fumes are deadly to birds. Please remove your bird from any areas that are under renovation; or shares "air space" with the renovated area -- as the toxic fumes will easily move from one area to the next. Maybe board your bird with a friend until the situation is stabilized at home.

 

 

 

There are many sites on the net devoted to things toxic to birds....paint fumes is just one of many. Good thing you sensed a problem and asked the questions :)

 

okay, thanks, I'll definitely move them into another room and make sure the door between the rooms is shut to stop the fumes from transferring between rooms. A couple of weeks should be long enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when I first started with my birds I had moved to a new home that had been repainted about a week prior... upon moving the birds in they all 4 of them died durring the 2nd night due to the paint fumes still in the house (the room I had them in had not been the one repainted)... about 2 weeks later I received new birds and they were fine... so I can personally tell you that toxic fumes WILL kill your birds... and even another room of the house is not safe. It's best to find another home/building to house them in while doing painting and even a couple weeks after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Merlin at my in-laws maybe I will keep him there 1 more week, they finished painting last Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×