• Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  545
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi there,

I just have A few general questions regarding my new baby budgie.

(1) I put him outside on our back porch every day so he can get some light and fresh air.... Ive been watching him through the window and he seems quite happy just sitting on his perch.... When i come outside and sit next to the cage, he starts acting a little weird..... he will jump down off his perch and will pace up and down the cage floor like hes looking for something, then occassionally bobs his head up and down...... hes not afraid of me as he runs near my hand also when i put it in the cage.... its quite funny to watch the way he darts up and down the cage floor........ Why does he do this.... ? i was thinking he is maybe showing off and trying to get my attention ?

(2) Ive noticed also some times these honey suckle birds come into our back porch and land on his cage...... Ive tried to stop them by hanging clothes up around his cage but they still come....is this going to cause problems for my budgie.... i know they cant really attack him as his in the cage, but surely he must get stressed having these pest birds landing on his cage....

(3) whats the earliest a budgie has been known to say its first word or whistle ? obviously all birds are different, but just curious as to how fast it can be ?

(4) The last couple of days ive also heard making these like barking noises..... what would this mean.... he doesnt do it very often..i guess when he hears other birds outside.......

Thanks

Jason

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

In answer to your first question, his pacing sounds like he wants to be let out and have play time.

I think some birds have been known to say their first words around 7 to 8 weeks, not sure, i've never had a talking budgie.

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Hi Jason,

1. I agree, it sounds like he wants to come out of his cage. My indoor budgie does the same thing, tramples backwards and forwards until I let him out.

2. Wild birds can be a disease threat, so you need to find a way of stopping them getting onto the cage. Maybe some sort of cardboard over the top?

3. They are all different. Some will take within a couple of months, some take a year, some don't talk at all.

4. The different noises he is starting to make is all part of them trying out their vocalisation skills.

Hope this helps,

Feathers.