jenene283

Just How Many Times Should You Let Budgies Breed Each Year?

After reading a reply to one of my posts regarding pairing up my birds for breeding. one member of the forum commented that some of his birds were on their 3rd round, I was always under the impression twice a year was the absolute max! What do you think?

I suppose we all vary a little and there are other factors that come into things. I dont let any of mine do more than two clutches in a row. But later in the year after a six month break they may get another chance depending on their health and well being. If, for instance a pair only raised one chick in each of two clutches and still looked refreshed I MAY consider a third clutch, but I havent done that yet.

Show breeders generally work to a breeding season, so have a limited time to produce chicks of quality in time for shows and the "Nationals", so maybe then a third clutch is considered. But noone I know pushes their birds beyond their limits. It boils down to you knowing your birds and what their state of health and condition is, I guess.

Edited by KAZ

I suppose we all vary a little and there are other factors that come into things. I dont let any of mine do more than two clutches in a row. But later in the year after a six month break they may get another chance depending on their health and well being. If, for instance a pair only raised one chick in each of two clutches and still looked refreshed I MAY consider a third clutch, but I havent done that yet.

Show breeders generally work to a breeding season, so have a limited time to produce chicks of quality in time for shows and the "Nationals", so maybe then a third clutch is considered. But noone I know pushes their birds beyond their limits. It boils down to you knowing your birds and what their state of health and condition is, I guess.

I would have thought "quality" would be comprimised after 3 successive rounds. Each to their own I guess.......

You are correct. Quality in my hobby is paramount to quantity. I was the Member that posted that some of my birds are into there 3rd round.

One pair concerned is a Spangle Grey green cock to a Skyblue hen.

1st Round 2 chicks.

2nd Round 1 chick.

So I have decided to let them go a third round. If they have more than 3 fertile eggs, some of the eggs or chicks will be fostered out.

The other pairs have had clear eggs in their 1st round and 4 chicks in the 2nd.

Most time If I let the hen have a 3rd round after two full rounds, the eggs are fostered as they are laid. I take the cock and the chicks away from the hen so she can have some free time before going back to the flight. When I pair up, i also pair up feeders. Feeders are pairs that don't have good chicks but are very good parents. They raise the others chicks.

My hens breed once a year. The cocks might be paired to a number of hens during the year but will have free time between pairings.

The breeding season as I put in the other post is after the nationals in June. July to February. But that depends on the hens. If they all go to nest and have fertile eggs the season will be short. If they have two clear rounds they are tried latter in the season. They get one to two months break between trying.

If you read my blob or visiting my website you can see the management I have for my birds. They are feed on the best and live a life of luxury.... ummm it might be good to come back as a budgie in my aviary :)

Edited by Daz

i normally go 2-3 times depending on how many young ones fledge after the second round. my birds are in a avairy so sometimes some pairs only get 1 clutch due to being to slow to start breeding