• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  80
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  30/06/1983

Hi all, I'm new here.

My partner's mum has offered to give us a budgie - she breeds them (I've had a couple as pets when I was a kid, but not for many years!), however the budgie would have to live with 2 indoor cats. I'm really not sure how it's going to work to be honest! My cats would definitely try to get at the cage, and I don't know how I could keep them away from it?

Any suggestions? The only other option is to keep the budgie outside, but that would mean getting an aviary which puts the cost up a fair bit!

Thanks in advance :blink:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Any reason why you cant keep the budgie cage in your room and be very strict about keeping the door shut and cats out ? :blink:

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

I believe if you want the bird and are willing to put in the extra work then there shouldn't be a problem with having cats and a bird. Others on here have cats and dogs and they get along okay.

My cat will leave by birds alone (in cage only never out together!) if they are inside she will get close to have a sniff the first time but after that ignores them. This came about becuase I would yell at her when she was close to the cage.

As I stated it is possible as long as you understand the risks and the extra work needed to make it a happy home for all.

Edited by Nerwen

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

We have 3 cats and in the beginning your cat will be very interested in your new bird no doubt.

The best thing you can do is get a sturdy cage that is on legs with wheels (aviary type if possible). The small starter cages are not that safe with cats because you have to put them on a table and you don't want any type of ledge where that cat can sit next to the cage or knock it over. You can suspend the cage but it must be eye level with you so the budgie doesn't have the upper-hand in the relationhip :D

When we have free flight time the cats are locked up or I lock up my office where Merlin stays and let him out with me.

You can keep your budgie in your bedroom but it really is not advised because of the feathers and dander build-up but many do.

If you feel that you can't possibly keep them apart and it won't work then maybe a budgie right now would not be a good time. I can tell you though many people do co-habit with both and it works fine with a little bit of awareness and responsibility ^_^.

Edited by Elly
Guest mandy1

One of my cages is suspended from a hook in the ceiling so the cat cannot reach it. All the other birds are out in the aviary.

Buy a few water pistols and place them in easy grabbing distance.

I bought 4 of them and strategically placed near the aviary. The cat has got so sick of getting wet she now gives the aviary a wide berth and runs a mile if I pick one up.

Mandy

• Member ID:  3,450
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  54
  • Achievement Points:  465

The water pistols are a great idea but fill with a mix of water and either lemon juice or vinegar. Cats hate the smell of those and will get the message quick. It worked beautifully on my cat.

• Member ID:  3,495
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  925

I have a half-feral cat that does vermin-duty in my birdroom (mice, centipedes and occasionally, sadly, the odd gecko or lizard). She used to climb up the cage fronts as a kitten but some quick discipline (including aforementioned water-pistol) convinced her this was not a "good idea". Now she largely ignores the birds, although I would never allow a bird to fly free in the birdroom while she was there - that would be asking too much of her.

I've often kept cats and birds at the same time, and never had a serious incident in over 30 years. It is easier with kittens than full grown cats, but they are smart and can be trained at almost any age. Just don't leave them unsupervised access to the cage unless it is very secure and very out of cat-reach.

Good luck,

KathyW.

• Member ID:  2,618
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  94
  • Achievement Points:  795

I have 2 budgies, as well as 2 cats. One is primarily outdoors and when she's inside, she only cares about finding a place to sleep (Laughing out loud). The other is mostly inside, so she's the one I have to worry about. I have my birds in my bedroom and I always keep my door closed. It has worked out well for me. She has come in before and she doesn't really try to hurt them, but gets on top of their cage and watches them. I'm more worried about her stressing them out than actually getting to them, but it's become a rule in my house that my bedroom door stays closed at all times. Luckily she's not as interested in them as she used to be, but I still keep her out of my bedroom.

• Member ID:  3,517
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  8
  • Achievement Points:  80
  • Birthday:  30/06/1983

Thanks for all the replies :D However my problem's solved itself - I just won one of these aviaries on ebay for $180 which I'm stoked with! Small enough to be able to keep it on the decking (which will provide some extra shelter) and definitely big enough for a couple of birds - although I'll just be starting off with one.

I'm so excited :)

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  3,404
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  43
  • Achievement Points:  325
  • Birthday:  11/07/1978

I have 2 cats and 2 budgies and the spray bottles work wonders. But sometimes I think the budgies egg the cat on to come and see them just to see them get sprayed! My female cat has learned now but they can still get my male in trouble.

I completely believe that budgies would egg on the cat (Laughing out loud) I can just see the scene in my head :)

• Member ID:  875
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  826
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  7,200
  • Birthday:  15/01/1976

In my opinion if you have cats you shouldnt have birds. One slight mistake on either of their parts would 99% surely end in disaster. That is however my opinion on the subject :(

• Member ID:  3,404
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  43
  • Achievement Points:  325
  • Birthday:  11/07/1978

In my opinion if you have cats you shouldnt have birds. One slight mistake on either of their parts would 99% surely end in disaster. That is however my opinion on the subject :budgiedance:

your pets are only as safe as you are responsable. Added care should be taken in both ends of safety. But if you are willing to take that extra step in safety and responsibility it can be very rewarding to have cats and birds, under the same roof.

Jackie excellent point...:budgiedance: a simple door open can lead in disaster

I have found we have an excellent set up here with our cats ^_^ and bird.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

In my opinion if you have cats you shouldnt have birds. One slight mistake on either of their parts would 99% surely end in disaster. That is however my opinion on the subject ^_^

your pets are only as safe as you are responsable. Added care should be taken in both ends of safety. But if you are willing to take that extra step in safety and responsibility it can be very rewarding to have cats and birds, under the same roof.

Jackie excellent point...:) a simple door open can lead in disaster

I have found we have an excellent set up here with our cats :( and bird.

Yes ... l totally agree with that :)

Guest 3-birds-2-luv

I have 3 budgies and 1 cat. The cat is inside/outside, and the cage is in a social part of the house (living room). The cat just looks up at the keets then stares at 'em for a while. I think she's planning tomorrows lunch...(Laughing out loud). But I just keep a good eye on the birds. My cat, Cookie, is outside more than she is inside, so I guess that helps. I hope I could help you....I hope you figure something out pretty soon... :)