• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  817
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,305
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

- What are the worst and most frustrating aspects of showing and show breeding?

- It was vague, but I heard that show budgies are more difficult to breed than the pet type - would that mean that it is harder to meet the breeding requirements for them or that the birds themselves are less eager to breed?

- Ideally, what characteristics should someone that wants to get involved in showing have?

- How time consuming can it become?

- Are splayed legged chicks more common with show budgies since the female is larger? Are there different precautions that a show breeder needs to take to prevent chicks from becoming splayed?

- When being entered in a show - do the birds have names or are they entered using band numbers? Is it common for breeders to name their show birds?

- Are there instances when a show breeder will breed a show bird to a pet type budgie to achieve certain results?

Edited by HurdyBirdy

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Question if the show birds are put into aviaries are they scared like many other birds that you add into a cage? When being shown they don't look scared? Are they tamed or trained or what lol :hap:.

A show bird usually has a more relaxed charactor than the average bird. The chicks are handled often to inspect the growth and look of the birds. The hens rarely bite and not as bad.

The main training is to get them to want to hope on the perch in a show cage. This is done with a special wooden paddle. The bird usually runs back and forth across the bottom of the cage. The paddle is placed as a small hurdle for the bid to hop over, in doing so it see the perch and hopefully hopes on it.

PR-066.jpg

Show Bird in a show cage

- What are the worst and most frustrating aspects of showing and show breeding?

a beautiful bird that should win it's class but won't sit on the perch.(won't show). If it won't show it cann't be judged.

- It was vague, but I heard that show budgies are more difficult to breed than the pet type - would that mean that it is harder to meet the breeding requirements for them or that the birds themselves are less eager to breed?

show birds are breed to be in buff. (poofy) When it comes to mating, it is like they have clothes on. The feathers around the vent must be trimmed. to allow mating

- Ideally, what characteristics should someone that wants to get involved in showing have?

a true love of Budgerigars, an open mind, and the required time to look after them and be involved in the show world.

- How time consuming can it become?

I spend 1/2 hour every morning feeding restocking the seed. checking the nests and bird.

I spend 1/2 hour every night changing the water, rechecking the seed and rechecking the nests and birds.

I spend 3 hours on a Saturday cleaning the cages and flights, rechecking the seed and rechecking the nests and birds.

I go to the Club meeting 1 1/2 hours once a month. And try to get to as many shows as I can.

The above is the minimum I'd have to spend. I spend a lot more just standing and watching the birds.

- Are splayed legged chicks more common with show budgies since the female is larger? Are there different precautions that a show breeder needs to take to prevent chicks from becoming splayed? I have never had a splayed chick or hear of one in our club. We do have trouble with the deaths of one day chicks due to the hens sitting tighter on the nest, but that is more in colder climates. You can place a large porcelin egg in the nest to help stop this. It will also help keep the warmth in the nest

- When being entered in a show - do the birds have names or are they entered using band numbers? Is it common for breeders to name their show birds?

Some breeders will name there birds. Jo Mannes has names such as Hurculies and Apollo. Very powerful names. You do not need to use a number to enter the bird. Here you tell the organisers how many birds you have in each division and they will give you a sticker with a code number on them. The number tells the number of show bird not the ring number. EG my bird could be Class 22 No. 623.

Class 22 is Opaline Hen. And the bird is no 623 in the show. The Bird I entered was PR-6 389 but that is not shown anywhere. I will explain why later.

- Are there instances when a show breeder will breed a show bird to a pet type budgie to achieve certain results?

it depends on the bird. you will see that most pet birds here have very small heads and small spots. This is not wanted in a show bird. But I have seen people see pet birds that have good features and might help a beginner like me get started.

Remember I am classed a novist in Show Breeding. But I am enjoying these questions.

To finish the comment above about not showing the birds ring number.

The judges must be honest at all times. They can not be persuaded by who the bird is breed from. So when the birds are placed in front of the judge he has only the birds to judge from.

If you are behind the judge in the gallery and make a comment load enough for the judge to hear, such as. That is "John's Bird" second from the left. You are removed from the hall and the bird is check to see if that is correct and if so it is removed from judging.

When I am stewarting (bringing the birds to the judges for judging) and I have birds in the show. I am placed away from my birds in a different division so I can do nothing to persuade the judge. Even acidentally.

Edited by daz

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

okay I have to ask (Laughing out loud) when they hop one it to they stay there?

Guest Shellball

Wow! That was really interesting. I know I would never be involved in showing with any species because I can't get around well enough and I don't have the energy, but if I did, I might like to show bugdies. I might have to try to get to a show just to watch.

I do have a question though.

Does anyone know where and why the huge elvis hairdos first came into the picture? :hap:

okay I have to ask lol when they hop one it to they stay there?

:hap: I think your mean when they hop on to it do they stay there?

lol more often in my case.. No. :hap: I will need to train them more :D

This does happen even to the best breeders at time.

Does anyone know where and why the huge elvis hairdos first came into the picture? :D

Shellball do you mean Crests. I'll let you know I have a history of mutations at home. Or Bubble might have the information in the front of the Australian Standards.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I don't have a question but i just wanted to say i've found it really interesting to read all the questions and answers here. :hap: You're doing a great job Daz!!

Yes that is what I mean so if the judge is looking at them and they hop off what do you do anything? How do you train them to stay on :blink:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Yes that is what I mean so if the judge is looking at them and they hop off what do you do anything? How do you train them to stay on :D

When the judges are examining the birds, the owners aren't around to say "Get back on your perch you silly bird" :blink: ....I think the judges give the bird a moment to "SHOW" for them....if it doesn't happen they get marked "wont show" on their cage.

Like this one..AAAbirdshow057.jpg.....it made all attempts to "jailbreak" it's show cage the whole time I saw it over the afternoon, but didn't have a "won't show" written on the cage after judging...so I am guessing it DID SHOW at the appropriate moment as it was placed in her division.

The Judge has a "judging Stick" simular to a Drum Stick. He uses it to promt the bird back up to the perch. The same way as you would train a bird to perch on your fingure.

The judge gives the bird no more than 5 minutes of attention before he gives up. He can not judge the bird on the floor of the cage.

• 2 weeks later...

All these questions have been added to the FAQ section.