How Many Is Too Many?

Guest Ros

Hello everyone

I am still a little unsure of how i know itf there are too many birds in the aviry.

I have a 5 foot X 5 foot aviry and 7 budgies and was wondering if they had enough room to breed?

i love the colour and sound of these wonderful birds, but don't really know what to do when i put in the aviry.

i have been told that i should do this in the morning is that true?

and that i need 2 boxes for each pair is that right?

i have had my birds for 2 yrs and they have been inside in cages as i got every 1 of them when they were still quite young. not all of them are 2 but the 1's i want to breed are( or so their bands say).

could anyone please give me some info on aviry budgies

Tar Ros :wub::angry:

Edited by daz

• Member ID:  1,582
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  7,510
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  13/03/1977

I'm not too sure on the dimensions of your aviary in regards as to how many you can have in there, but yeah id probably move them into the new surroundings early in the morning so they have at least a full day to get use to the idea and Yup you need to have two breeding boxes for each pair of breeding birds available or they may tend to squabble..

I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to help you out more :( \

Cheers :beer:

Una

I'm not too sure on the dimensions of your aviary in regards as to how many you can have in there, but yeah id probably move them into the new surroundings early in the morning so they have at least a full day to get use to the idea and Yup you need to have two breeding boxes for each pair of breeding birds available or they may tend to squabble..

I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to help you out more :o \

Una

Thankyou very much that helps a bit do you know how much flight room a budgie requires?

(for example 1 bird per meter of cage.)

Tar Ros :( :hap:

• Member ID:  1,582
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  7,510
  • Birthday:  13/03/1977

Gosh id honestly have no idea.. My aviary is pretty big so i dont have to worry about things like that :hap: PHEWWW

This is mine and i only have 25 in there :( Although i am considering dividing it and having some sort of other parrots in the back section..

IMAG0700_450x337.jpg

AVIARYFRONT.jpg

Una

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

A lot of people will tell you colony breeding is a recipe for disaster, but it can be done depending on your birds and their relationships within the aviary. So here's a few tips that might help. I breed both colony (aviary) and breeding cabinet style so I can speak from both angles here.

You will need to have two feet minimum between nesting boxes for this to work and yes, you do need twice as many nesting boxes as you feel necessary for choice. Placing the nesting boxes with entry ways from different directions helps .....i.e. not all facing forward. Some sideways entry, not directly facing another birds entry. Kind of arrange them this way and that. You may need to screw some into the metal walls and not just rely on a shelf. Try and have all nesting boxes at the same height if you can as the higher ones are mostly highly sought after by all birds. Some times you need a piece of ply wood placed strategically here and there so a pairs view from the entry of their nesting box is obscured by a pair of birds nearby. You can screw these dividing screen sections to the boxes concerned. You also need to be sure that the pairs you have ready to cohabit and breed in that space are easygoing birds, none of the hormonally aggressive types that may get nasty with others. Be prepared to watch the heirarchy in the aviary closely for awhile off and on over some days till they all get settled within their own nesting sites and happy with their own partners. It's best if you can remove some of the birds for awhile and add each pair to the aviary again giving them time to select and settle in the chosen nesting box before adding the next pair. Have more feeding cups/ stations than you normally do and try not to have a feeding area right next to a nesting box. If you can put a longer perch on the front of each nesting box that accomodates both male and female....it helps. It generally stops the male feeling he has to defend the top of his chosen nesting box from anyone who wants to sit for awhile or peer in. Any aggressive pairs or males that interfere with others, please remove and put elsewhere for the duration as these will be your "troublemakers". I am sure you have enough space for your birds to breed if the relationships between them all and the relationships in the aviary work for you. You will have to be prepared to watch closely and look for potential problem relationships. I can tell you heaps more....but this is a start. PM me for extra info if you need to. :(