New To Breeding, Tips On When Time Is Right Needed

Guest _David_

Guest _David_

I just bought my 1st pair of Budgies from the local pet store, i am not new to budgie care but i am new to breeding. From the color of the male and the female's ceres they are both old enough to breed, my question was when and how long will it take the two birds to be ready to breed? I know that the color of the female's cere turns a rich darkish brown color, but a walkthrough of when the time is right and how long it usually takes for the pair to be ready to breed would really be helpful :(

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I don't breed but you can't tell how old the bird is by the color of their ceres. The female cere will be brown by 6 months and the males blue by 6 months. Depending on the mutation the males cere would remain pink. Also depending you may be able to see the iris ring and that would at least let you know that they may be over 8 months but that is no guarantee because my 4 month old has his already. By the first molt there babies bars are gone so that is another non indicator of age.

Saying that did you ask the pet store how old? I doubt but maybe they would have had them for over a year. Budgies should be allowed to breed until they are at least 18 months, they can of course breed earlier but there is more risk of failure of the clutch. Both birds may not be mentally ready to take on a family.

I am sure others will also give you good advice, welcome :(

Edited by lovey
Guest _David_
I don't breed but you can't tell how old the bird is by the color of their ceres. The female cere will be brown by 6 months and the males blue by 6 months. Depending on the mutation the males cere would remain pink. Also depending you may be able to see the iris ring and that would at least let you know that they may be over 8 months but that is no guarantee because my 4 month old has his already. By the first molt there babies bars are gone so that is another non indicator of age.

Saying that did you ask the pet store how old? I doubt but maybe they would have had them for over a year. Budgies should be allowed to breed until they are at least 18 months, they can of course breed earlier but there is more risk of failure of the clutch. Both birds may not be mentally ready to take on a family.

I am sure others will also give you good advice, welcome :(

Well i did ask them to point me towards the adults when i started looking around, I know this might seem kinda dumb but i dont kno what the iris ring is...? But i do know that there baby bars are gone :(

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Just to check you can call the pet shop and ask what age the call adults.

There are no dumb question here :( Iris ring is a white ring that appears in the eye of budgies.

Bonding can take from a month to half a year so you see it can vary. If you have them in a breeding cage it can seed up since it is safe nesting site which will get the hen into a breeding cycle.

Guest _David_

yes both the male and the female have the ring :( what do i do about them not feeding yet? Does it take them time to get used to their new sorroundigns before they start eating? I have not yet added the nesting box because the female's cere has not turned a dark brown color which usually means the female has sexually matured correct?

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Yes that's correct and that will happen at the age of 6 months, but it's not safe to breed with them until after the age of 12 months. Also depending on the time of year and such she will come out of breeding condition and have pale blue cere, still kinda crusty.

Yes it take a little while for them to settle in. If you have a spray of millet hang that in for them. It's easy for them to dehull and they love it.

Edited by Nerwen
Guest _David_

they still have not eaten =/ which is worrying me a bit, how long should it be before i start doing somethng about it? Like trying new foods etc..?

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

blow on the food dish and see if the shells blow off they may be eating when you are not looking. They are probably pretty scared still since you have had them only for about 2 days. I would keep them covered on all 3 sides of the cage and slow remove it within a week.

They probably won't even think about trying new foods until they trust their surrounding more.

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Every budgie is different but it usually takes a few days for them to settle enough to eat. Try putting food on a plate on the floor and in a cup on side of cage so they have some options. Perhaps they are used to eating food from a certain spot.

Guest _David_

got home from work today and finally a sign of improvement!! They began eating earlier today from what my wife told me :), i bought them a cuttlebone and some millet spray and hung it inside the cage :wub: thank you for yalls help through all this :), hopefully soon enough ill be able to start breeding them