When can I start handling the chick?

You can handle your baby chicks right away but with precautions.  Below are tips, ideas and what to expect.  Handling your chicks, inspecting them after they are hatched is an excellent idea.  You can watch for any illness, the parent not feeding the baby, and of course they become used to humans handling them.  This in turn is a plus if you chose to sell your babies because they are used to humans and if tamed enough you can sell them as parent raised tamed budgies.

Tips:

• wash your hands with warm water to make sure they are clean, dry and warm
  • start with just a minute and then you can add time over the weeks
  • handle them around the same time so both parents and chicks can expect you
  • take 1 baby at a time
  • try not to have the baby out of the nest when the parents are feeding them or they may miss the feed

What can I expect when I hold them?

• some older babies nibble on fingers
  • some babies may bite
  • some are completely ok
  • expect to get pooped on :-P

How do I get them out of the box? You can tap on the side of the box to let the hen know you are there so you do not startle her and most will come out.  Some hens won't leave but will tolerate you touching the babies. If you can not gently coax her out.  

Beware that hens are protective of their young so you might get a bite or two but it is worth it. At that particular moment be aware that a hen who is biting at you, may accidentally bite her chick that gets in the way, so if your hen is very disturbed, make contact minimal until she gets used to the routine of you inspecting her nestbox and chick

You cannot comment on this entry

Rate this FAQ

4.63 (8 Votes)