Will my budgie talk?

Many people ask the question will my budgie talk?

The answer to that question is "maybe"

There are different factors in involved.  Lets review them.

Is your budgie the sole budgie?
Is your budgie a male?
Do you talk to your budgie all the time and repeat the same phrase over and over?

If you answered yes to the questions above then the chance of your budgie learning to talk is greatly increased.  Sole budgies see you as part of the flock so they may start to mimic you.  When your budgie starts to mimic your whistles and you hear a lot of gibberish going on that sounds like talking then listen hard because he/she may be trying to talk. 

In theory males are considered to mimic better.  It only makes sense as in the wild or even in captive breeding situation they are more vocal when flirting with the hens.  So if you have a male bird your chances are high but do know females have been known to pick up whistles and talk too.

When you repeat the phrase or the whistle over and over that you want your bird to learn it has a better chance of picking it up faster.  Talk to your bird when they are in a calm state such as first thing in the morning, in the afternoon during their mid-day nap or in the evening at bedtime.  You will find they are quieter, then will tilt their head to listen to you.  Budgies will usually pick up the whistles first and then if they are going to talk that will be the next step.

A question that comes into play is will my budgie stop talking if I get a 2nd budgie?  The answer to this question is maybe.  We have members that have budgies that talk and taught their others budgies to talk (that is rare situation though).  I found with my own personal experience that when I introduced Merlin to Pretty.  Pretty did stop talking entirely.  Though you have to weigh the reason why you are getting a 2nd budgie it could far out weight having your budgie talk.

In close, budgies will mimic their own kind vs human talk if given a choice.

Remember some birds may talk and some may not.  Don't purchase a budgie just because you want a talking bird you may be disappoint

You cannot comment on this entry

Rate this FAQ

5 (5 Votes)